Hey everyone I’m just writing you a quick blog as a warning about this product in the image Health Plus – Acidiphilus probiotic capsules.
As you can see below these are still below their best before date up until January 2016.
With probiotics you can normally tell if they are alive or not quite easily. All you need to do is put them into about 200 ml of milk or alternative milk and leave them somewhere with constant low heat (about 10oC-20oC is what I usually go for) for about 12-24 hours. By this point the milk should have thickened or at least started to. Sometimes it can take a little longer or be quicker depending on temperature. This means that the good bacteria is feeding on the milk and replicating itself, hence the thickening. It’s that bacteria that does your body good.
I tried 2 batches of this stuff and on both accounts the milk stayed exactly as it was. It was completely thin and watery. This means no good bacteria and no benefits at all from your tablets.
If you take probiotics in capsule or pill form I advise you to do this simple test and see if they are inert as it’s a common problem with tablet forms. There’s often no bacteria in there and if there is then it’s often dead. If you find you have this problem you can tell them the test you did and request a refund.
On the other hand if you still want the benefits of probiotics I can seriously recommend this technique I use here in my other blog. How to Make a Continuous Supply of Cultured Vegan Soya Yogurt.
Lots of love
So I thought I’d make a post today about making a continuous supply of cultured soya yogurt that is vegan. I had friends around for dinner last night and they were asking me about it. As we all know probiotics are excellent for the gut and digestion. I wanted to be getting a good supply of probiotics in my body. It can be one of those things easy to miss out of our diets and yet just as important as all the other elements to a healthy balanced diet. You can take tablets but during my practice to make this cultured yogurt I found several of the vegan probiotic tablets we had at home were inert. This means there didn’t appear to be any living bacteria in them at all! Please watch out for this. You can simply test them by putting one of your tablets in a little milk over night and if it’s thickening the next day then you have a good tablet. If not then you want to go get a refund!
In this batch I’ll be using Alpro Simply Plain Yogurt. Make sure it says “with live cultures” otherwise this wont work. This yogurt contains the beneficial bacteria S. thermophilus. I’ll be showing you how you can use just one tub of this yogurt and then make a continuous supply of it using only soya milk. This would likely work with other milks too though I have had great success with organic Soya milk.
This yogurt is great for all sorts of things. I recommend having it raw on cereals or with fruit and berries so you can put them little good guys in there to good use in your guts!. If you aren’t really eating anything that day that you could use some in, then you can always just simply eat 2 tablespoons a day on its own.
1. Take 400 ml of organic soya milk and add to a low to medium heat and heat up until it’s just bubbling but not boiling. This cleans the milk. Once heated leave to become only very slightly warm to one side.
2. Boil water and pour into a container like a jar, jug (with lid) or similar to what I used below. This is to clean the container. Then pour out the liquid and let dry upside down so nothing can get in it.
3. Pour the milk into the container.
4. Take 2 healthy tablespoons of yogurt and mix it into the slightly warmed mix and stir this well so it’s mixed in.
5. Place the receptacle in a place where there is a constant very low heat. Anything too hot will kill the bacteria we want. An airing cupboard or similar will work well. You can also wrap it in a teatowel. Leave this for 12-24 hours until it has thickened. It can take a little longer sometimes if it’s too cold because the bacteria becomes less active.
6. Place in fridge and use within 5 days but keep at least 2 tablespoons for next batch!
NEXT BATCH! – I recommend on day 3-4 to start a new batch. You now do this with 2 tablespoons of your own made yogurt 😛 As you can see you can just keep maintaining this system. You may find your yogurt to be less sweet and a bit more sour. This is fine. One of the main ingredients of alpro yogurt is sugar whereas each time you make a batch there’s less refined sugars in there.
If your batch doesn’t work then try again. This is very easy to make but you might want to try a few times until you get it right. You’ll save a lot of money in the long run.
Always mix well before eating. Sometimes you’ll get clear liquid at the bottom. This is fine just mix well and it’s ready to eat.